Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, September 26, 2011

Every quilt has a story.....

Have you ever wandered around an antique mall or flea market and seen quilts that were just unloved and waiting for someone to 'save' them?  You know the quilts I am referring to....they are a little ratty, have a few sugar stains, but have been hand-quilted and probably hand-pieced.  They are hanging there with ridiculously low price tags on them because someone felt like they just weren't "perfect" anymore.  That is my worst fear...that when I die, our six kids will deem my quilts unworthy and they will be in some flea market or garage sale for $25 a piece.  :(

Well, there was a day in the shop.....picture HER...she is a size 0 and is wearing capris with heels.  Her blonde ponytail dances off the side of her head.  Her make-up is perfect.  She seems perfect.  Then, she opens her mouth...  She has a quilt in tow that was HAND-PIECED by her GREAT GRANDMOTHER as a wedding gift to HER MOTHER.  Now, this little trisket is maybe a few years younger than me, but boy, she had enough attitude for the both of us.

Trisket:  I have this ratty, pink quilt that my great-grandmother made.  Do you think I could get $25 for it at a yard sale?

Me:  Sweetie, what you are holding there is a family heirloom.  Don't you have a daughter or someone else in the family you can hand it down to?

Trisket:  I decorate modern and so does my daughter.  It doesn't go with anything we have.  Frankly, it is a little too country for us.

She proceeds to go into the story how they already gave a couple others away at church, but that didn't want anyone to see how ratty this one was....

I explain how much work has gone into the quilt.  It is hand-pieced and hand-quilted...two generations ago.  What a momento for her family that her great-grandmother actually did all the work.

She proceeds to tell me all of the history of the quilt, yet she still isn't getting it.

By this time, *G*, one of my employees is keeping me from climbing over the counter and slapping Ms. Trisket around and knocking some sense into her.  I end up paying the trisket for the quilt and sending on her way.  We talked around the shop for days about how some sweet great-grandmother in heaven is smiling down on me for saving her quilt from Ms. Trisket.

Before I go on, this is the quilt:


No, it doesn't "go" with any room in my house.  Yes, some places are a little ratty.  Yes, there are some sugar spots.  No, it will never be seen in a garage sale.  She mostly stays folded up with a few friends that I have made.  I get her out and fondle her.  I think about the love and work that went into her.  Then, I lovingly fold her up and put her away.

I tell our kids this story.  My youngest son (Prodigal) lectures me when I am feeling low.  He has said to me more than once...Mom, your quilts will not end up in yard sales.  I will make sure we divide them all up and your grandchildren will pass them down.

Today's blessing.....no Trisket in MY family!

4 comments:

Sue said...

Wow. *gulp*, I had to swallow back tears at this post. It is the mentality of all too many in this generation to not fully comprehend or maybe even care to understand just what priceless treasures we have from our past.
I am so glad you rescued this and I am sure the maker of this quilt is smiling that someone appreciated her handiwork.

I would have helped you slap some sense into this gal :)

Beautiful quilt.

Merilyn said...

Some people just don't have a clue!!!!! You did a good thing, it is now reloved and can feel safe in an appreciative home!!!!

Appalachian Quilts said...

Thanks for the comments. I do think lovingly about the quiltmaker every time I fondle the quilt! :)

Jenn said...

UN-Real! You saved a quilt from homelessness. Good for you!