Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Ahhhh....Home Sweet Home

Hubs and I took a little mini vacation to Gaitlinburg for our anniversary.  We went to Gaitlinburg, TN.  First of all, I would just like to say that when we left, gas here was $4.20 per gallon--Kentucky and Tennessee--well, it was $3.65 per gallon! 

Here is the view from our cabin porch.  Isn't it just peaceful?  Well, I just about had a stroke getting there, so the peacefulness was much needed.


This is our poor car parked on the straight up and down incline, also known as our driveway.  See the pavement to the right?  Well, our driveway made this hard right, downhill turn...to more steep road...some paved, some not....all straight down.  We slid and spinned until we got up and down....every time we left the cabin!


In a rare, neverbeforeseen photo, here are hubs and I from the same view on the cabin porch.  Don't we look like the happy Anniversary couple?  :)  We also look quite tired from the drive.  *sigh*


This is the place that makes moonshine.  Pretty uneventful for me, except....well, you will see below....


They were giving out free itsy bitsy shots for you to try their different kinds of moonshine.  Hubs tried them, I did not.  Just not a moonshine kinda gal!


Now, this is what made the whole moonshine visit promising.  I grew up on bluegrass music.  My grandpa used to play 8-track tapes of bluegrass on the front porch and hum along.  I love bluegrass and am always amazed at the skill needed to 4-finger pick on a banjo, play a violin...mandolin...you name it.  These kids were awesome!  Hubs bought two of their CDs.  The girl had gone to the car to get flyers when we snapped the pic.  They knew this was going on my blog, and were OK with it.  Their name was Moonshine Holler Boys, appropriately enough.  There was even some good ole fashioned Southern Gospel on the CDs.  This was one of the highlights of the trip.


We saw Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede, which was disappointing at best.  However, we went to a dinner show called Hatfield's and McCoys, which was OUTSTANDING!  There was a lot of talent, the dinner was good, and the service was excellent!  If you go to Gaitlinburg, you simply must go see this show!

Well, I have a lot of cleaning and catching up to do here at home.  Customers need called for quilt pick-ups and I need to figure out what to fix for dinner.  Home Sweet Home!  I love it and I love being here!  Nothing like a vacation in a dirty cabin to make you appreciate a nice clean home!

Blessings

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Lucky you, that is my part of the country. I love both states and the music. I also grew up listening to blugrass and hearing my Dad sing the tunes. Thanks for a trip to memoryland.

Merilyn said...

Happy Anniversary!! the bluegrass and the scenery would have been highlights for me as well!!!