Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Welcome Spring!

I got out in the flower beds yesterday, and I guess I should preface by saying that we live in the woods, so I don't rake leaves in the fall.  There is just no point.  They swirl around all winter and it would just be a losing battle, so it is just a Spring job for me.  I got one flower bed cleaned out yesterday and about 2/3 of the "big bed".  Our driveway makes a loop at the top, and in my infinite wisdom, I decided to have hubs roto-till up the whole thing and I planted perennials.  Yeah....about that....  First of all, with me working, it was a never-ending battle with me and the tree sprouts that wanted to come up all last year.  Then, there are the leaves....15 wheelbarrow loads yesterday and I'm STILL not done!  But, look what I found out back...


Now, the reason I am so excited is I thought I had killed them all!  The crocuses were getting squeezed out by the Iris's, so I dug up all of the Iris's and re-arranged the back bed.  The crocuses didn't even flower last year.  Don't know how I did it, other than maybe they were taking a little break, waiting for me to get in gear, but I'll take it!  :)

I did spend part of National Quilting Day yesterday in my sewing room, also.  I'll show you the fruits of my labor later.  I had a rough night Friday night and needed to sweat out some of the pain....so I ended up in the flower beds.  Then, I was too tired to do anything other than sew, so I ended up in the sewing room.

Usually don't do this on here, but I have a small prayer request.  We have this couple who are good friends with Army son.  He is to be in their wedding.  They had to hurry up and get everything planned to be executed the last weekend of March because her mother's health was failing.  Her mother was diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer around Thanksgiving and she was hanging on to see the daughter married and graduated from college with her Master's.  Well, to make a long story short, she probably will not be around until graduation and they have had to change the wedding plans.  She is in hospice at the nursing home, so the immediate family (and Army Son - as the best man) will be having the wedding at the chapel in the nursing home.  This is another sad cancer story, as this lady has children ranging in age from 25 to 13.  She also helps take care of her twin granddaughter's, who are 5.  I was looking forward to this wedding, as was the hubs.  It is absolutely heartbreaking for me---this lady is only a few years older than me.

Our time on this earth is precious.  We don't know when it will be our time to go.  Hug those around you...let them know you love them....and smell the fresh air of Spring.  Take nothing for granted.

Blessings

2 comments:

Cheri said...

I think now is a good time to be raking leaves. I'm ready to be outside but it's a bit to early for planting so leaves would be good. Love those crocus! Such a wonderful sign of life.

Merilyn said...

Oh! so true....what a sad story especially for the 5 yr old twins and her 13 yr old. To lose someone special at that age can be very confusing.
Thankyou for sharing your gardening story too, love those little signs of life coming through to lighten a heavy heart!