Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sisters....

Let me preface today's post by saying for the record that I love Jo Morton fabrics and her designs.  When we were doing last year's JLWC, there was one quilt that didn't appeal to me.  I love hand work, just not hand embroidery.  I would rather piece and applique, that's just 'me'.  So, when it came time to do the Sisters quilt, I negotiated with one of my employees to do the hand embroidery part of these itsy-bitsy heads that were the center block.  :)


The only reason this quilt didn't get quilted sooner was that I was toying with putting some sort of border on it.  I auditioned every color...several bordery-type prints...and nada.  Nothing worked.  So, I gave up, called it a quilt and threw it on the longarm.  The same thing happened with the binding.  Couldn't figure out what I wanted to bind it in and finally decided to use the same print for the back and the binding.  There.  Done.

I thought if I did an "X" in each block, it would look cute.  I should have done less quilting.  With these blocks being so small, those "X"s made my poor little quilt stiff!  I even used a cotton batting.

Regardless, this is finish number 12 this year, and for that....Woo Hoo!

I do like the quilt, don't get me wrong.  I just wasn't up to the task of doing the embroidery work.

Well, I am off to hit the longarms.  Hope your day is blessed!  :)

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Nice little quilt. I don't mind embroidery but that little circle... not me at all. So how do you do such a little quilt on your long arm? I general take out a different domestic machine to do my little quilts. How big of a head do you have? I have a smaller quilt that maybe I'll do on the long arm instead of my dsm. You may have inspired me. And, today is a day for long arming.... (well after vacuuming. I wonder if I could practice the pattern I want to use with the vacuum.....lol.) Bonnie/VA

Appalachian Quilts said...

As long as you have the extra 4" all the way around, it can still be loaded. I have a Gammill Classic that I use. Honestly, with the exception of straight-line quilting, I couldn't quilt on a domestic machine if my life depended on it! Even with the loading time, they just go so much quicker on the longarm. What kind of longarm do you have?

Appalachian Quilts said...

P.S. That quilt is 12" square!

Merilyn said...

It's a very cute little quilt despite the fact you had a fight with it LOL!!! Lets hope the next one you do is a love affair!!!!