Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, March 03, 2011

Here comes Peter Cottontail....

hopping down the bunny trail....Hippity Hoppity, Easter's on it's way.....  Do you remember that song?  I loved Easter as a kid.  I was never a Peeps fan, but I did love those little chocolate eggs!  What kinds of traditions did you have?  While my kids were sleeping Saturday night, I would put their Easter baskets at the foot of their bed.  They were allowed to have one piece before church.  After church, the aunts/uncles and grandparents would come over for a big dinner at our house...the traditional Easter egg hunt....and lots of candy.  The kids all got Easter baskets until they moved out.  I still make one Longaberger Easter basket here at the house, and hubs pretty much claims it as his.  Sometimes he shares, but mostly NOT!  LOL

Well, I did it!  My Peter Cottontail Topper is quilted!  I'll get him bound this evening, and he will be ready to go!  This project was inspired by the Toppers books by Piece of Cake.  There wasn't one we liked for Easter, so we scrapped one up!  The bunnies are actually wool, so they are all fuzzy.  Everything else is a batik!  We did have one casualty while quilting....one rabbit lost an eye!  I usually tell customers not to put their buttons/embellishments on until AFTER I quilt.  We had put the buttons on this because it hung in the shop for *ahem* several Easters.


This is a close-up of the quilting.  I stitched in the ditch the piano key outer border.  The inner border was cross-hatched.  This background filler....well, I was trying a new technique, and that is why it took so long to quilt.  I way over-thought which way to turn....kind of like you do when you first learn to stipple.  Don't know that I am ready to do this on a customer quilt, as this was my first attempt.  Can you see the little butterfly I free-handed in there?

Well, I have to go add him to the "Finished" list.  I have played around with scrappy binding, and looks like he is NOT getting scrappy.  It's just too much.

Have a great day!

Blessings....

3 comments:

Pam Geisel - For Quilts Sake said...

Love the butterfly...thanks for pointing it out!

Appalachian Quilts said...

There are actually three total...1 near each bunny. Quilted them in, then did the background filler.

Merilyn said...

A very sweet quilt! you did a great job on the quilting, and yes I did notice the butterfly!! Beautifully put together!!!