Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Penny for your Thoughts!

I've already shared a few, so I won't bore you with them again...but today I thought I would share some penny rugs.  I don't know about you, but I have really gotten into the wool and penny rugs...even mixing wool applique with regular cottons on my quilts.  Recently, I donated some very nice wool suits to charity and it was all I could do not to save some to cut up to use with my quilting.  Gratefully, the charity won.



This first penny rug was either in American Patchwork & Quilting or Fons & Porter...I can't remember.  I had it out at Christmas, but it wouldn't have to be just for Christmas....

 Next, we have a shop favorite....quilters are cat lovers.  If you can't have the hairy beasts, you may as well have the wool one!  This is called Penny Paws.  I'm temporarily out of the patterns, so if you need one, just shoot me an e-mail.  I need to order one for high school friend...we are going to make these into individual blocks and then into another wallhanging for Joanie.
 This is my primitive bunny runner.  It was in a Joined at the Hip book (we still have, if you are interested).  I took liberties with the colors and am glad I did.  Those flowers now look like Easter eggs!  The skinny border is a wild-looking yarn.  Of course, embelishing with buttons!  : ()
(Don't mind my tile floor...it was the only way I could get these colors to show up.)  This is Primitive Pennies.  Just love this and the colors.  It is a great way to use up scrap pieces of wool.

Do you make penny rugs?  How do you like using wool in your applique?  Do you find it easier to use?  I would love to hear from you!

Blessings.....

10.13.13  http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_dept_items.asp?Shopper_id=229102164938229&Store_id=613&Page_id=17&categ_id=181&parent_ids=0&name=Cross+Stitch,+Rug+Hooking,+Penny+Rugs,+Wool,+etc.

Here is a link to some of these awesome patterns!

7 comments:

Barbara said...

How do you display these? I've thought I would like to make some, but didn't know what to do with them after they are made....

Appalachian Quilts said...

The Primitive Penny (round circles) I use to keep a lamp from scratching an antique record player. They are also great for candles. Penny Paws hangs out halfway off of a shelf. The wool bunny runner goes on my table in the kitchen....I also try to keep a little something on my microwave. There are all kinds of great places to display. You can even put them over the back of a chair to keep the oils from hair from discoloring the chair. I USE all of the things I make...

Barbara said...

Great ideas Cynthia! I just needed some ideas because I didn't want to cover them up with lamps etc.

Appalachian Quilts said...

Mine is a little lamp that fits in the middle, so you can still see the pennies going around the outside....

Quilt Hollow said...

ADORABLE...love these wool mats!!!

marianedwardsdreamweaver said...

WOW they are GORGEOUS, Cynthia!! i LOVE penny rugs and i am the lucky owner of a beautiful little one made by a friend in the states. i've never made one but i've always wanted to..i think i've just been inspired to have a go :)) cheers, Marian x

Karen said...

I like your wool mats. I enjoy doing the same kind of thing.