Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Is bigger always better?

When it comes to a quilt for our house, the answer is YES!  We have two king-sized beds, so I always end up enlarging patterns.  Thus, the UFOs....

This first quilt is called Casablanca.  It is a Miss Rosie pattern.  The pattern didn't have the borders, we added those on.  I custom quitled this quilt with feathers in the borders, stitch in the ditch and diagonal lines. 
 The next quilt is called Paint Box Stars by Thimbleberries.  Anyone who knows much about TB, knows that they are primarily darker colors and you either love them---or hate them.  I had been getting flack about having a lot of TB in the shop, and decided to switch things up a bit.  This was a really bright line I had gotten in from Hoffman.  We did this up as bright as possible just to show that even if you don't like someone's fabric choices, there are still possibilities.  I think we hit the mark.  Lots of compliments on this one hanging in the shop over the years.
Once the flimsies started piling up at the shop, I had to 'allow' myself to start doing allovers on some of my quilts.  For a long time, if it was mine, it got custom quilted.  I could just see my Grandma looking down at me giving me grief for machine quilting, and I knew that I had to quilt them like I would if I were hand quilting.  I finally resolved myself to the fact that when electric sewing machines came out, the treadle got shoved to the side to make room for her new machine.  If she had been alive when I had a longarm, she would have kept me busy all by her lonesome!  So, this one is done with an allover of butterflies.  I just love how it turned out.  What you can't see is that a few of the fabrics also have butterflies.  There are lots of leaves, flowers, ferns, etc., so the butterflies are more than appropriate!

Well, I must go fix breakfast.  A friend from high school is spending the weekend and she wants me to teach her to quilt.  She is excited to learn, and I am excited to teach.

Blessings.....

1 comment:

June Dodge said...

Very pretty bed quilt.