Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, January 07, 2011

Wanna do lunch??

I absolutely love to cook.  I don't mind experimenting and trying new things.  When my parents were first married, I was in sixth grade.  Step-poppa and I got tired of eating things Mom would cook in the morning for us to warm up in the evening.  If you have ever re-heated fish, I don't need to go into details here.  We started a little game where we would open a cookbook and just let it fall open to any page.  Then, we would close our eyes and point to a recipe.  I would make it, and if the three of us (little brother) didn't like it, we would just go get a pizza!  This was so much fun.  I was allowed to make a mistake...no harm, no foul....and we just would mark that one with a pencil that we wouldn't make it again.  So, now you know why I love to experiment.

In my old life, I was a Food Broker.  I represented ingredient companies and food manufacturers.  My 'job' was to sell these ingredients and foods to hospitals, restaurants, schools...and CHEFS.  Back to the experimenting.....I started trying to make recipes where I could cross-sell the ingredients and the processed foods to get CHEFS to buy them.  Did you notice that CHEFS was in all capitals???  CHEFS have big egos to go with their excellent cooking skills.  If you want a CHEFS respect, you better be a CHEF.  See where this is headed??  LOL  My bumbling and stumbling around the kitchen got better with time, and eventually CHEFS would even share recipes with me.  I have learned which ingredients complement each other and which ones clash.  I have also learned how to be a wannabe CHEF, but an excellent cook.  Not bragging...just telling you what friends and family say.

I have been asked to start putting a few recipes on my blog, so here was today's lunch - Egg Salad on Wheat Toast.

4 boiled brown eggs (yes, they are more nutritious)
1 tsp. Golden's Dry Mustard
2-3 Tbsp Hellman's Mayo
3 Tbsp Sweet and Spicy Pickles (I use Vlassic)
1 tsp. pimento
2 tsp. chopped green onions
Salt & Pepper to taste

Slice your eggs.  Incorporate your dry mustard into your mayo and then mix everything together.

The picture really doesn't do it justice.  I used a little too much mayo this time.  Just that little secret ingredient of the Dry Mustard makes this yumful.  Slicing instead of dicing the eggs just makes it a little more gourmet-looking and allows you to really taste the eggs.

Well, I need to get back to quilting.  See you soon!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Your egg salad looks good!
great recipe!